New York Cheesecake with Graham Cracker Crust
For the Filling:
For the Filling:
- 32 ounces (907 grams) cream cheese, room temperature (use full fat, not reduced or fat free cream cheese)
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons (35 grams) all purpose flour
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy whipping cream (double cream)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Crust:
- 2 cups (200 grams) of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup (114 grams) unsalted butter, melted
For the Topping, Optional:
- 1 cup sour cream (not low fat or fat free)
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a bowl, combine crushed crackers, melted butter and sugar. Mix until consistency is like wet sand.
Pour crust mix into a 9 inch spring form pan. Be sure and flatten along the bottom and up to 1 inch up the sides.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator while the rest of cheesecake is being made.
Make the Filling:
Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, flour, eggs, heavy whipping cream, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined. Use a stand mixer like a KitchenAid if you have one. But a large wooden utility spoon and a can-do attitude will work just as well. Be sure to add eggs one at a time and completely mix until all used up.
Pour cheesecake filling into the springform pan.
Put springform pan on a baking sheet and place in the center rack of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce temperature to 250 deg F and continue baking for 60-90 minutes or until cheesecake is firm with a wobbly center.
Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Make the Topping:
Finish the topping while the cheesecake is cooling. Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and combine thoroughly until smooth. Spread topping on top of warm cheesecake and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
Remove from oven. To prevent cracking, run a knife around the inside edge of the cheesecake and the pan. Should loosen up the cheesecake while it's cooling.
Allow to cool completely to room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Then cover with plastic wrap and let cool in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Preferably overnight.
Remove from springform pan and serve.
See the Joy of Baking video below for complete instructions:
Post a Comment